Friday, October 29, 2010

Thoughts on the Way to School...

I see a lot of things on the ride to and from school these days.  Sleeping Beauty and I take Cinderella in the morning and usually come back home and do a few things around the house before we set out about our day. Then in the afternoon we head back out to the school to get her.


I see a lot of surprising and interesting behavior on my drives to and from school.  I often see parents in their pajamas.  Now, don't think, "Oh, it's just the drop off line.  They are not getting out."  They sometimes get out.  I have seen parents in the school in their pajamas. Horror of horrors!  ;o)


The drop off and pick up line seems to be a "hot button" topic among many moms I know.  Thankfully I have not witnessed the "Pick Up/Drop off Line" drama that can bring out the very worst in parents.  I have heard about parents driving like maniacs, being careless when children are around, cutting in front of someone else in the line, (That sounded juvenile even to me) yelling and being bad examples.  Some parents do not treat others the way they want to be treated.  Parents from all over the country talk about this.  I hope I don't ever see it.  Nothing is worse than an adult acting in such a manner that could embarrass their child.  


Remember "The Golden Rule" that was taught in Kindergarten?  Well, I do because I went to a private Christian school then.  Or maybe your mother taught you it?  In Matthew 7:12 it says, "Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets."


But I see A LOT of good.  More good than bad.


Luckily, from what I have seen at the elementary school level, these kids are kind to one another.  They treat one another the way they want to be treated.  They observe The Golden Rule.  I see brothers carrying their little sister's backpacks, older siblings holding the hands of their younger siblings to keep them safe and within reach.  I see children waiting for friends before crossing the street, parents walking their kids to school and children kissing their moms and dads without caring what their peers think.*


Matthew 18 2-5 (NKJV) it states, Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, 3 and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven4 Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.


Young children are some of the most Christlike people I know.  If you didn't know that or have not seen it for yourself, I urge you to go into a Sunday School class and watch the children.  They love completely and selflessly.  Unconditionally.  With their heart, soul and mind.  They love because we (and He) first loved them.  


Hmmmm.  That sounds familiar.  I John 4:19, anyone?


"We love Him because He first loved us."


My girls are always showing me the person I need and want to be by their examples.  By their actions.  By their works.  They make me what to be a better person and I am pretty sure I am.  (Bueller...Bueller?  Bueller??)  ;o)  Knowing their hearts, I know that Christ truly dwells within them. It takes a lot to "ruffle my feathers" these days.  My children have really mellowed me.  And at times I truly do just let the craziness take over and have fun with them rather than clean.  Yes, you read that right.  Sometimes A lot of the time, my house is in shambles but my girls are happy and they know without a shadow of a doubt that they are loved. 


 *Random thought: I guess I have a couple more years before I have to worry about Cinderella being embarrassed by my displays of affection and constant picture taking habits.  :)  I have heard it starts in second grade.  :oP

1 comment:

  1. love these thoughts and love love the background! much love, Nan

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment and let me know what you thought! Thank you!