Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankful for the drama, the messes and the squabbles in my life





It is amazing how quickly I have forgotten what it is like to have two little divas in the house all day for several days in a row.  It's only been three months since school started.  Since Cinderella is on Thanksgiving break from Kindergarten (AKA  Big Kid School) and I am a stay at home mom, I have been with the girls a lot.  And THAT is an understatement.  They love one another but let's face it; they are sisters and the fights are inevitable.  The good thing is that, as sisters tend to do, they can be having a squabble and be fine a few moments later.  I, in all honesty, find myself popping more Excedrin Migraine and hanging on for the ride.  I have to remind myself sometimes that this is what I prayed to God for - my girls, their messes and all the drama they come with. 


During the recent days here at home, I have heard my daughters say, "I love you" to each other countless times, but I have heard some "I'm mad at you's" from the one to the other.  And it is usually the pint-size Sleeping Beauty turning her Hulk-size rage on her big sister.  They have gotten along famously for the most part though and are inseparable.  I am so thankful for those times, even when they are few and far between.  More often than not the little sister so is happy to have her big sister home.  I am happy in that they have one another to play with and entertain one another.  I am not so thrilled with the constant keep-up-with-the-house-before-it-all-goes-to-pot feeling.  I feel we are one step away from living in a pit some days.  We are working really hard at keeping this house not only livable but clean.  And it is a haaaard job with the two girls and a dog around.


During the days of Thanksgiving Break 2010, there is a lot going on.  As soon as one activity is started for one, the other one bores of it quickly and makes way to making a new, possibly bigger mess, er activity.  I have to remind them countless times to clean up one mess before beginning another.  Cinderella does well with this but only really when she is reminded, so to me it feels like it is battle that is always being fought.  Sleeping Beauty, on the other hand, lives to create chaos, messes and destroy our home.  And she is good at all of those. I am wondering if I can rent her out to demolish old buildings or something similar to make some money to help pay for her food and clothing.  She eats like a teenage boy and dresses like she is ready for a fashion photo shoot and she has expensive taste.


Tutus are strewn about the room.  Poor Princess Furry Pants is covered in princess gowns with a semi-pleased look on her face.  But to the girls she looks downright hilarious and thus begins a new makeover/dress-up game.  Giggles fill the air as the three girls play and run circles around one another.  Princess Furry Pants tires first because, let's face it, she thinks she is a cat and needs exactly twenty-three good hours of sleep to function.  And by function I mean that she has to be able to make it to the backyard to do her "doggy business," make it to her food and water bowls and police the two girls at all times.  Times like these make me realize how truly blessed I am.


During the course of the day countless activities take place.  Several what feels like countless outfits are worn, some for dress up play and some out of necessity.  They are princesses, but they are messy princesses.  The laundry piles stay high now matter what I do and how hard I work.  It is a good day when the clean, unfolded pile is higher than the dirty clothes pile.  I really think the clothes multiply and I really could write a whole other post on my theories about laundry...


Arts and crafts must take place and that can mean anything from drawing to taping numerous things to a wall to actually drawing or cutting something for Cinderella.  Cinderella loves tape and would probably be happy to get tape for Christmas.  To Sleeping Beauty, arts and crafts means "seek and destroy" her sister's hard work.  It usually ends with one in tears and the other laughing. Can you guess which one is laughing?!


We have numerous baby dolls to be swaddled, fed, burped, patted and stepped on.  :)  The last courtesy of Sleeping Beauty.  The girls ask one another to babysit their respective babies.  I feel bad for Cinderella's babies because Sleeping Beauty has yet to learn to be gentle.


We have fights over how to fix one's hair and who gets to go first and who gets which bow.  It is never dull here and if it is, it won't be for long because that is when they are up to something and yet another mess will ensue.


As one can see, it is certainly not boring here.  There are always messes, squabbles, drama, pretty clothes and accessories strewn about the house.   But there are always a lot of hugs, kisses and "I love you's." 


I am truly thankful.  
Savannah, GA in October 2010
Cinderella has her eyes closed.  :o)
Happy Thanksgiving from our pit to yours!  ;)



8 comments:

  1. Sounds about right to me. I have lots of messes to clean up too. My daughter likes to gather stuff. We have to hide her Easter basket, Halloween bag, and anything else with a handle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just now catching up on blogs as I took an early nap yesterday that stretched into late this morning ;)
    I'm thankful for you, your friendship, laughter, and those two cutie pies at your breakfast table!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've just described what my home is like. And yes I'm thankful for all of it too. Btw, your hubby there looks alot like John Travolta.

    Hopping by from SITS. Congrats on your feature day!

    http://kiddothings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, very sweet. The whole dynamic of siblings is really kind of fascinating. I remember in junior high watching my friend and her brother absolutely pummel each other, and now as adults they are extremely close. But I guess that's what it means to be family.
    Happy SITS day my dear. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your girls are so beautiful and you are truly blessed. Doesn't mean it isn't challenging and frustrating at times to be a mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy SITS day! Wow...you have an amazing way of writing about your life. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup, siblings can fight like cats and dogs but its those little moments when they are nice together that help us get through.

    Congrats on your SITS day. I have been really enjoying your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment and let me know what you thought! Thank you!